Our Catholic School
St Joseph’s School was founded in 1904 by the Sisters of the Convent of the Holy Family. The school was granted voluntary-aided status in 1970 under the auspices of the Diocese of Plymouth.
Foundation Governors appointed by the Bishop oversee the school. We are funded by the DfES and Devon County Council. The governors are responsible for a portion of the cost of maintaining the school building. Funds for this come from our parish and parents’ donations. At the moment 65% of our children are baptised Catholics and the remainder from other Christian denominations.
Currently St Joseph’s provides high quality education for pupils from 4 years old until they move into Secondary Education. An exciting new proposal is currently being investigated which would extend our provision to 2 and 3 year olds.
Prospective parents are welcome to visit the school to meet the staff and pupils.